Friday, September 21, 2018

8) Solving The Problem

1) Selected Opportunity
In exercise seven, I chose a public health opportunity. I think customers do not know the magnitude of the bacteria and viruses that accompany gas station pumps. But I believe that if customers were given a means to clean their hands after pumping, they would if sanitation products were conveniently placed. Also, if people were educated about the health risks of gas pumps then sanitation products would be more widespread. I think that gas stations have hesitation to include sanitation products on gas pumps, because they feel as though it could be expensive. Furthermore, gas stations may feel that the responsibility of sanitation products should be the government’s and not theirs. Also, some gas stations might have a mindset that if customers want to clean their hands they can come inside to wash them.

2) Product:
A low-cost sanitization product that would be sold to small-medium sized gas stations. The sanitation product will be approximately 16oz and placed by the card reader on the pump. It will be a small black box in which a customer can push the top of the box and sanitizer will be dispensed. To prevent allergic reactions, there will be a sign above the box that instructs customers to clean their hands as well as a warning and a list of ingredients. These hand sanitizer boxes will benefit gas stations because it will allow customers to have a clean gas fill up experience. Thus, customers will be more likely to come back to the gas station. My strategy would be to meet with local gas stations and start a small rollout of sanitation products. This way I would be able to see the pros and cons to make changes in the design or efficiency of the product.

1 comment:

  1. Kyle,

    I liked your post because you accurately provided the solution to your previous hypothesis. It is a simple solution that would not cost much to the gas stations in terms of providing hand sanitzer and would prevent allergic reactions as well as keeping hands more clean when at the pumps.

    ReplyDelete