Friday, September 14, 2018

6) Identifying Opportunities in Economic & Regulatory Trends

Economic Trend #1: E-Waste Offers an Economic Opportunity

b)    I believe an opportunity exists because as technology gets faster the faster we will be getting rid of our older devices. Also, throwing away electronic devices is bad for the environment so if we remain proactive on this opportunities then future generations won’t have to deal with this as much.
c)     The customer in this will be individuals who take environmental safety seriously. Also, governments will be customers because they will have to invest in these opportunities
d)    This opportunity is relatively difficult to exploit because we must get people to convert from throwing all their trash in one place. We have to now add another bin for electronic devices on top of the recycle bin. Getting people to convert from the norm is hard, but not impossible.

Why Did I See This: After seeing a lot of videos about what is happening to our environment I take things like this seriously. I believe we need to act now because climate change is real and we need to be prepared to deal with the effects. Therefore, I saw an opportunity in electronic waste and how we can create a process that properly disposes of it.

Economic Trend #2: A Massive Increase in the Working Population

b)    An opportunity exists because as the world population increases there will be an increase in demand for highly skilled and educated workers. Developed countries need more skilled workers for the economies and this in effect benefits the world.
c)     The customer will be companies around the world looking for educated and trained workers. Governments will also be likely customers as well because they want to attract top talent around the world to fill the roles. Countries that have more skilled workers will have more potential to benefit their economy.
d)    This opportunity is relatively difficult to exploit because many countries do not want to fix their labor practices that allow for people from other countries to come work there. Many people also believe that foreigners are stealing their jobs when the reality is that together we can benefit the global economy.

Why Did I See This: After taking a class on the global economy this particular opportunity stuck out to me. As I learned more about why a strong global economy is better for everyone this opportunity makes sense to and I believe others would understand if they learned more about it.


Regulatory Change #1: Endangered and Threatened Species: Revision of Regulations

b)    I believe an opportunity exists here for the environment. We as a society need to protect endangered species. Some of the endangered animals play a crucial role in wildlife and their elimination could have long-term effects
c)     The customer is in this situation is society. We will benefit from having diverse species on our planet. This allows animal species to stay in balance because some are predators of animals that could overpopulate our planet.
d)    This opportunity is relatively hard because there are people who don’t care about the laws in place and will still hunt these endangered animals until there aren’t any left.

Why Did I See This: I think regulatory changes like this makes it easier for others to see the good opportunities that exist with limiting the hunting of endangered animals. After researching regulatory changes, I picked this one because I believe issues for our environment are important


Regulatory Change #2: Apprehension, Processing, Care, and Custody of Alien Minors and Unaccompanied Alien Children

b)    I believe a social opportunity exists here with introducing new regulations when taking custody of foreign children and minors. ICE has gotten out of control when detaining illegal immigrants. They took children to different facilities and separated them from their parents, which isn’t humane. Furthermore, the facilities that they were detained in are comparable to prisons.
c)     The customers in the situation are individuals who are detained would have to be treated fairly by ICE and can stay in facilities that are up to date. This new regulation would keep families together instead of separating them.
d)    This opportunity should be relatively easy to accomplish. ICE is funded by the federal government so when a new regulation is handed down by the federal government then they must follow the new rules in place. It may take some time, but it should be quick because of federal laws.

Why Did I See This: I saw this opportunity because I think that socially we must become better people. I believe that others can see this opportunity because as humans we know that the conditions that the parents and children were put in were not humane. This new regulation is an opportunity that will help keep families together, but hopefully in the long run we can introduce new laws that can help them stay in the country.

3 comments:

  1. Kyle, great opportunities in economic and regulatory trends. I especially liked the economic trend about e-waste. As technology keeps advancing, older devices become less relevant and need to be disposed of in the right manner. I also believe that this opportunity will greatly benefit the environment because if the devices are properly disposed of. I agree with you that climate change is not something people take seriously and properly educating and taking steps in this direction will preserve our environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kyle, I appreciate your opportunity for e-waste. I too am very passionate about taking care of the planet. Although, I do not think we need another bin for electronics. Best Buy is already offering a free service of recycling people's old electronics. I think there is an opportunity in setting up more drop areas since the Best Buy ratio to square mile is low.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle,

    I liked the opportunities that were presented in your post. The one about e-waste was good because it resonated with issues that are currently going on. It would be necessary to recycle because I have many phones and technologies that I currently do not use. Thank you for your insight and post!

    ReplyDelete