The book that I read was Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck
1) The general theme of the book focused on two mindsets; the fixed mindset and the growth mindset. The fixed mindset means that you are concerned about what others think about you and how you are judged. On the other hand, the growth mindset means that are you actively setting goals and are mainly thinking about how to become a better person. I enjoyed this book because I was able to connect with both mindsets. After evaluating myself, I believe the reason I set goals and try to become a better person is so people think positively about me. Ultimately, even though I am trying to become a better person it stems from the fact that I think about how others are judging me.
2) I was able to enhance and connect with ENT 3003 because before reading the book I believed that entrepreneurs were primarily growth mindsets. However, after reading the book I was able to see that entrepreneurs may also have moments when they have a fixed mindset. Especially when they are creating a new business, they hope that people like their business idea. They are focused on what people are thinking and how investors are judging them
3) If I had to design an exercise, I would choose something simple. I would want to know what mindset students most identify with. Then I would want them to pick examples of how they demonstrated the mindset
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations? Honestly, after reading the book I did not have an aha moment when reading this book. The book was straightforward and I was not surprised. However, I did find it interesting in the book when they mentioned that fixed-mindset managers are dangerous. This is because they like to be controlling and abusive to feel superior. I found it concerning and I hope I never have a boss like this.
Overall, I found the book very interesting and if you have not read it I would highly recommend it because it can really change how you think.
Amazing post, reading this made me want to read the book, I probably will. I agree that fixed-mindset managers are dangerous as well. When one individual starts getting a high ego without contributing to their people is bad for business. I don't imagine myself being that type of manager because empathy is an amazing tool to have. It's all about helping others not bringing them down.
ReplyDelete