Tuesday, November 27, 2018

26) Celebrating Failure

I couldn’t think of a time I failed this semester, but a time that I failed last semester is when I failed my first exam for Business Finance. As many business students know Business Finance is one of the toughest classes in the business school. There are rumors that at least 30% of students drop the class after the first exam. Most of the students who drop are finance students who need a B or higher so they need every single point possible. If they cannot pass the class with a B or higher they must change their major. Luckily for me, I am not a finance major so I only need a C or higher, but I always aim high.

What I learned after failing my exam with a 45 was that you must work hard for the things you want in life. I was told by many people that I need to drop the class including advisors, peers, and Banko himself. However, I was dedicated on passing and proving everyone wrong. By working hard and studying for the next month I was able to get a 95 on the next exam. And by having the same mindset throughout the semester I was able to get a 100 on the final exam. After passing the class with a solid 80% and B, I learned that I knew myself better than anyone else. Even though others told me I would fail I believed in myself and worked hard to pass a very challenging class.

In general, I think failure is the best teacher and it is hard to deal with, but without failure, we cannot grow. It allows you to reflect and think about how you need to change something about yourself to become a better person. When I fail I take time to understand exactly what went wrong. Then I come up with a strategy to do better when I try again. I may make adjustments in my strategy if need to change course. And yes, this class has changed my perspective on failure. After hearing the inspiring stories of entrepreneurs and their journey throughout the business world and life, I am more willing to make risks with my career decisions. I am not afraid of career failures because I know if I stay persistent and work hard I will be just fine.

2 comments:

  1. You couldn't have said it better, failure is the best teacher you can ever get. When people focus on their failure and get stuck is the problem. Most people don't know how to take it and rather focus on the negative side of failure than grow with it. Im sure failing your test helped you study even harder for future exams because I have been there and it really helps to see the bad steps one is taking to correct them and keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kyle great post. I wish I could say the same about my semester but failure is definitely something we all go through. Failure is an important thing to go through in life to learn and grow from situations. Failure is not something anyone wants to have but one has to go through. Failing a test helped you study harder and you learned from the mistake.

    ReplyDelete